The Weekly Chase #43

It’s hard to believe that it’s already almost August! Back to school stuff is already taking over the seasonal sections at stores like Target. I have to admit, I like checking out what school supplies are out there each year. I walk through the section and look at the notebooks, pens and such. Of course, once it goes on sale when school actually starts, I get tempted to buy some of those things. It’s the writer in me I suppose.

This past weekend was good for me. I actually got off a bit early on Friday afternoon, as it was slow enough for my supervisor to offer VTO (voluntary time off). This gave me the opportunity to take care of a few things I had been putting off, like cleaning my birds’ cages and doing some general cleaning of my bedroom. I then went out to Track Shack to pick up a new pair of running shoes. My current Brooks Adrenaline’s are getting closer to 300 miles since February (marathon training racks up miles!), so I knew a new pair of my favorite Brooks shoes were in my near future. Once I got back home, I got everything set and ready for my long run on Saturday morning, had dinner and then tried to head to bed. I say “tried” because I didn’t end up succeeding in getting much sleep.

I'm fueled by Vega! The best! :)

I’m fueled by Vega! The best! ūüôā

The alarm was set for 3:10am on Saturday morning, as we were starting our 15-miler at 4am, but apparently my body had other plans. Instead of 3:10am, I woke up at just after 2:30am and was not able to get back to sleep. So much for that last 30 or so minutes of sleep I could have had. I got myself dressed and ready for my run. After checking facebook and email, I was out the door to meet my group for the run.

All the Fall marathoners had anywhere from 12-17 miles on the schedule. NYC had 14 miles, so I was in for a long morning. I led my group for 6.5 miles before heading back to the school where we meet up to pick up some other runners as well as my two co-group leaders. Unfortunately, one of my guys got injured toward the end of that first portion. We were running on a sidewalk, and he was next to me when he somehow slipped and landed on the side of his left foot off the curb. Thankfully, he didn’t fall, but he did do some serious damage to his foot. After actually somehow running back to the school with the rest of the group, he wasn’t feeling any better. In fact, he said he felt worse. He ended up in the hospital ER. It was good that he did because they discovered he had a hairline fracture in his foot. He will be in a boot for a month before he can slowly resume running again. It really stinks, but thankfully he will be okay after a few weeks.

After getting with the rest of the group at the school, the Fall marathoners got in the remaining miles we all needed. Myself as well as two of my other girls got in 15.15 miles, more than the 14 miles the schedule called for. One of the girls had 17 miles for Chicago training, so she was grateful she had less than 2 miles to get done once we finally got back to our cars at the school. I’m actually glad I got in the 15 miles because in two weeks, I’ve got 17 miles, and jumping two more miles will be easier than three miles. So hard to believe I’m just four long runs away from my dream marathon!

After 15 miles with some of my running group.

After 15 miles with some of my running group.

Three of us enjoyed smoothies post-run as our reward. Smoothies have seemingly replaced my Starbucks frapp love this season. Don’t get me wrong, I still love Starbucks, but smoothies are so much better in this heat! I then went home to get in a much-needed shower. Everything is so much better after a long run…food, showers, everything. Ha. That afternoon, I went over to one of my running girl’s house’s to hang out and go swimming. Unfortunately, as we were cooking up some yummy vegan burgers and sweet potato fries, the skies came down and pool time was on hold. Lounging on her couch while watching television wasn’t too bad though, our tired legs appreciated the relaxing. And, I know her sweet dogs loved the extra attention they got from us.

Sunday was a definite sleep-in day for me. I do love not having to set my alarm clock on Sundays (unless it’s a race day of course). I woke up at about 9:30am, but then promptly fell asleep once I flipped on the TV. When I woke up again, I couldn’t believe it was already noon. So much for getting anything done in the morning hours. Since I wasn’t feeling sore from Saturday’s long run, I decided to get in a bike workout at the gym. Have I mentioned before how much I love Jeff Galloway’s run/walk/run program? It truly does lessen your recovery. I got in 7 miles on the bike while watching Iron Man 2. That may have just been a motivator as I pedaled away. That evening was church and a stop at Target on the way home. All in all, it was a good weekend. I’m always happy when I get in my workouts and get to hang out with friends.


Onto last week’s goals…

1. Hydration. I did well on this goal last week. I was a bit under a couple of times, but not too bad. I felt good about that going into my Saturday morning run.

2. Log food. Another one I did well on last week. I was good about making sure I was documenting everything on my Fitbit phone app. It does help keep me in check.

3. Strength training. When I made it to the gym, I made sure to get in my strength training for my upper arms once I got my cardio done. I don’t know if it’s done much for me yet, but we shall see in the coming months.

4. Fundraising. The ideas I wanted to get more into just didn’t happen last week. There is just not enough hours in the day! I just want to get at least one more of my ideas for DONNA fundraising going in the next few weeks.

This week’s goals…

1. Log food. Continue to make sure I am logging all of my meals, snacks and such on my food log. It helps a lot especially at the end of the day when I’m looking it over.

2. Hydration. Keeping hydrated daily is staying on the must-do list. It’s so humid out that it’s essential that I am not causing myself an issue by not drinking enough water all week long.

3. Rest. I am just not sleeping very well at all these days. I know my anxiety meds are likely a good deal to blame, but I really want to get this under control. When I don’t sleep enough, I have very difficult, sluggish days at work. It is rough and I hate feeling exhausted.


How was your weekend?
What are your goals for the week?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *