Having been a gym regular now for over 5 years, I’ve seen all sorts of people at the gym. I’m a big supporter of everyone being able to workout in a comfortable environment, no matter what fitness level you are. That said, there are a few things that can get on my nerves at the gym.
1. Not wiping down the equipment. This is definitely my #1 pet peeve. When I see someone working out near me and then they get off of the equipment and don’t come back to wipe it down, ugh! It’s so gross, I mean, who wants to deal with your sweat? Not only is it gross, it’s unsanitary. Not to mention that my gym has signs everywhere about making sure you wipe things down.
2. Talking on your phone. The gym isn’t the place for folks to talk to their BFF or significant other. You came there to get your workout on (or, so I hope), so get it done. Save your phone conversations for after you leave. If you must communicate with someone, text them!
3. Singing out loud to your music. I get it, the tunes coming through your headphones is awesome. It’s getting you through your sweat-filled workout, but the rest of us don’t need to hear it. Keep your personal concerts to the inside of your car, or at home.
4. Not re-racking the weights. Or, not putting them back in the correct spot. If you use the weight(s), put it back where you found it. Common courtesy to your fellow gym-goers. It’s nice to be able to find the weight(s) you need in the place they belong.
5. Taking the machine directly next to someone when there are multiple open machines. No need to crowd others when there are plenty of available machines. Let’s keep as much personal space around one another as possible when we are dripping with sweat. I don’t know about you, but extra space makes me a happier gym-goer.
What are your pet peeves at the gym?