I’ve lived in Central Florida for most of my life. I went to elementary, middle, high school and college in this area, so I like to think I’m fairly well-versed in finding things to do with little to no money. So I thought I’d compile a list for those interested in finding those free things to do when they are visiting the area. Sometimes, you just need something cheap or free to do outside of the theme parks.
1. Downtown Celebration. Celebration is a small community near Walt Disney World off of 192 near Kissimmee. When the weather is nice outside, it’s a great place to walk around with friends or a loved one. It also makes a great location for photos.
2. Harry P. Leu Gardens. Located off Corrine Drive near Winter Park, these Gardens are amazingly beautiful and worth exploring. Admission is free on the first Monday of the month, otherwise it’s $10 every other day of the year. With more than four gardens and a museum, it’s worth the regular admission price, as you can easily spend hours enjoying the place.
3. Lake Eola Park. Another great outdoor location for a stroll. Not to mention simply enjoying the park itself year-round, there are consistently events going on, like concerts and a farmer’s market.
4. Cady Way Trail. If you have a bike or rent one, this is a great trail to take a ride on. Or, you can just walk it. It is 6.5 miles long and goes from the Fashion Square Mall to the Seminole County Line.
5. Disney’s Boardwalk. As well as many of Disney’s other resorts are great places to explore. The Boardwalk is one of my favorites, and the Beach & Yacht Club is right across the water from it, so you can walk around to it as well. The Dolphin & Swan are also close by.
Fort Christmas. This is right outside of Orlando in a little town called Christmas. Folks flock here during the holidays to get their Christmas cards postmarked at the local post office. There is a great old fort attraction here with a lot to see. So much history lies there, so it’s both educational and fun.